Monday, December 12, 2011

How do use different pencil types?

Ok, here's the deal. I love drawing. It is a wonderfully relaxing pasttime for me. But I am always striving to improve myself, and found that I hit a plateau with regards to improvement. In my efforts to improve myself, I bought a set of pencils, from 4H to 6B. Much of what I have learned so far has been through trial and error, but now I would like some direction.



I primarily like to draw people. I have found that using the softer B pencils tends to produce better results. But I am still at a loss. How should I gauge when to switch between pencil hardness? When should I use a 3B instead of a 2B? What instances make using a 6B appropriate? Do the H pencils have any application for sketching? Or are they solely for drafting purposes?



A breakdown of what each pencil is good for would be much apreciated.



Thanks!How do use different pencil types?
The higher the B, the softer the lead. He higher the H, the harder the lead. This is helpful to know because it can vastly affect the way you shade. The softest lead, 6B, will make the darkest lines, the hardest lead, 4H, will make the lighest lines. Also, in relation to sketching, the softer leads are the easiest to erase. The harder leads tend to leave actual marks in the surface of the paper that will be painfully obvious even when erased and re-shaded. Other than that, just practice and see what works for you. Personally, I got adjusted to working with only the B leads...I just vary the strength I use to apply it to the paper to get my lighter tones. Another good option that I would suggest would be trying charcoals. They are way more forgiving when drawing, and I have found that I get truer shades with that than with pencil. Anyway, just play around, and most importantly, enjoy yourself!!How do use different pencil types?
I have found that using a softer pencil works best. Pressure is the key and keeping it sharp for detail work is absolutely a must (which I'm sure that you already know). Hard lead pencils have their place but I use them very sparingly.

I'm from the old school,. That is to say that I believe in the old saying ';it's not usually the tool, it's how it is used';. Some of the greatest drawings were done long before our sophisticated pencils were developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment