Sunday, November 21, 2010

How can I start a career in Human Resources, and still make what I鈥檓 making right now?

I studied Business, I love dealing with people, the more people I get to talk to in a day, the happier I am. I wanted to work in human resources, but they wouldn檛 give me a job anywhere because I had no experience. I took a job in Quality Control translating the process manuals. I got so familiarized with everything they made me technical writer, then they made me quality inspector, and now I am a production coordinator. I got promoted so much in 3 years, it made other people with engineering degrees jealous. I檓 really good at what I do, but that doesn檛 mean I like it. I still want to be in human resources, I檝e gone to many job interviews these past 3 years, but I still have no experience, no one seems to want to give me a job in that area, and now I檓 used to making good money to just start working at some low-paying position. How can I get started in human resources, and still make what I檓 making right now?How can I start a career in Human Resources, and still make what I檓 making right now?
1. Speak to the HR team in your own company

2. If you are willing to relocate, look for jobs in other states/countries--maybe they will pay more

Good luck!How can I start a career in Human Resources, and still make what I檓 making right now?
You could consider getting a job at an employment agency, like Apple One working as a Recruiter or Account Executive. It is a sales/HR position but is a good entry level job into HR. After working there for 2 years you could find an in-house recruiter position, utilizing the skills you learned at Apple One and that would be an HR position. Usually Apple One Account Executives make 40K base and 1st year potential is 60K+. In house recruiters make 50-100K +. It is a good way to jump into HR!



It may also help if you look into PIHRA and SPHR. You could also get HR certs through them.



ALSO- If you don't want to go the recruitment route, you will need to to back to school, earn certs and/or a degree in HR and then take a HUGE paycut to start at the bottom.



Good Luck! E-mail me if I could help you any further! - Christie
Typically when anyone makes a career change, they have to be prepared to start at the bottom. Human resources requires a lot of legal knowledge in terms of employment laws. In some cases companies require a legal degree.



The entry level positions in HR are very clerically oriented and require exceptional writing and communications skills.



You would need to take your knowledge and skills in the position that you are in and convince someone that your skills are easily transferable to an HR position.



Another option to get your foot in the door would be to take classes pertaining to HR or employment law. However I am sure you will be looking at a substantial decrease in pay when you make the trasition.
This is easy... but i'm not sure if you will make the same money in the end.



If HR is what you really want to do... Go back to school and earn a HR management certificate. There are many schools that offer it... even online.



It will take 1 to 1.5 yrs.



Also, meet with your HR department at work and let them know about your career goals. It sounds like you are a STAR anyway, so they will probably be receptive. Ask them if there is anyway you could play intern while you are earning your certificate.



By the time you graduate - you could have over a years worth of experience and a professional certificate under your belt. Not only that, but your HR dept might offer you a job. I know they'd hate to lose one of their best.



Good luck !
I'm an HR Rep and have been for the past 8+years. It was hard for me to break into HR. What I would suggest is getting your PHR certification I will put the link at the bottom of this question. This certification is crucial to the HR realm because it covers everything. It does take a lot of work to attain it, but if an HR dept sees that on your resume they wil know you are well trained.



Best wishes.
  • howtocuddlewithyourboyfriend
  • long hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment