Sunday, November 21, 2010

What kind of qualities make a good nurse?

I am a hopeful nursing student and I am taking all my prerequisites to get into a nursing program...I often hear how half of the students drop out of the program and how those who graduate and get a position sometimes realize that nursing is not for them...and honestly I really don 't want that to happen to me.

I am a very good student and I am very driven to be a nurse...I know that I would definately be able to handle the academic component. I have also worked in customer service in retail and I know that I am very personable and genuinely care about the people I serve. I love dealing with the general public...but what else does it take?What kind of qualities make a good nurse?
My Mom, a retired Nurse (after more than 25 years!) is what I would consider the ';perfect person'; to become a nurse...you need: PATIENCE..PATIENCE...PATIENCE...a caring, nurturing nature, the ability to ';think on your feet';, to be able to ';multi-task';, work as a TEAM player, smile when you want to cry, be quiet when you want to scream, be willing to work long hours...put up with mean/unkind/unruly family members, mean/unkind/unruly patients and mean/unkind/unruly doctors, to be gentle, loving, and understanding...to ALWAYS remember your patients are PEOPLE who have feelings just like you do...be able to react quickly and appropriately, but most of all, be committed to HELPING people.

Those are the qualities you need to possess before embarking on such a challenging, but rewarding, career.What kind of qualities make a good nurse?
Training, experience and empathy.
patience, nurture, calmness, empathy, seriousness, and truthfulness
You will find it important to strive for a balance between compassion, or getting too close to your patients - and maintaining your professional objectives. Because of the nature of that type of work, it is very easy to identify with your patients (or their families), become so close to them - and in the process, find yourself overly stressed due to the emotional burdens you've taken on. Many people find their personal lives suffer too greatly because of this....they have very little to give to the ones they love - those who are outside of their work environment. This is one reason many find nursing just isn't for them.



This happens quite often especially in nursing professions that focus on critical care, such as cancer patients. While compassion is a wonderful trait to have, it is important to keep your professional composure. I'm sure they are courses designed to help those in the health care field deal with these issues. All the best to you.
Caring, loving and a non smoker
my cousin is in her last yr of nursing school. it takes a divided heart. you have to be able to care, and i mean actually care about the people you're helping. you have to make them believe that they are important to you. but you also have to be hardened to their situation. if you're not, then their misfortune will weigh heavy on you and easily make you depressed.
Knowledge of medicine is of great importance, but, compassion for the patients is a must to make a good nurse.

Also, a quick response to the patients need for help or for pain medication. I suppose that would be considered compassionate. Good luck with your career. It is a noble profession.
compassion and understanding is great but it helps if you aren't incompetant. I know you said you could handlethe acedemic bit but make sure you are comfortablr treating people in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment