Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do you or your loved ones deal with IBS?

I am ';family diagnosed'; with IBS. (About half my family has it, and they tell me that I do as well with the symptoms I have.) I'm having a particularly bad bout the last few days. What do you eat to keep your stomach from going too haywire? How do you deal with the pain? What medicines, if any, help?How do you or your loved ones deal with IBS?
Try to eliminate as much stress as possible (I know, easier said than done) I drink LOTS of water all day, but mostly because I don't want to be tempted to eat something I shouldn't. I don't eat meat at all. As far as medications, take an OTC probiotic. I also have a prescription for Lomotil which helps tremendously! I would really recommend going to a doctor to make sure that is what you have. Colitis can sometimes mimic IBS (my husband has microscopic colitis) but his syptoms aren't a daily thing, his come and go every few weeks.How do you or your loved ones deal with IBS?
A reasonable amount of fiber. I prefer bran cereal. Too much or wrong kind can irritate, but it's individual. Drink plenty of water. Best med I know of is old, but have used it with a lot of success and as a nurse, I've seen it work when taken faithfully for at least a while. Donnatal is a combination drug with Belladonna for drying effect and phenobarbital to relax the spasms. Hard to develop any addiction because Belladonna is a poison in large quantities. Regular exercise helps bowels and faithful going when nature calls, esp if symptoms include constipation (it can be either) that is, don't postpone using the bathroom too long. I also have found (with constipation) abdominal massage helps. Rub up the right side of belly, accross to the left then down. Hope this helps.
Hi Rose, I have had IBS since I was in my teens. An ole country doctor told me to eat anything I want. He said the best way to control it is to take a one or two quart plain warm tap water enema everyday. It has worked for me for over 40yrs. I never have any bloating, pain, gas, tiredness, etc. I know it sounds bad, but it works.
  • short hair styles
  • microsoft web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment